Another variation in our set of rando bags is this one in Coyote Brown Cordura. It comes in a smaller size for those who wish to have a more compact set-up, or those with smaller bike frames or narrow handlebar width clearance.
Cordura is well-known for its durability and high water resistance, an excellent choice for rugged bike trips that will withstand the elements.
This takes inspiration from the traditional design of front bags used in a randonnée (also called a brevet or audax) - a self-supported, non-competitive endurance activity in which cyclists have to reach pre-determined finish points given a time limit and are usually for 200 km or more. In between are what are called control points, where cyclists can opt to take nutrition and rest.
A randonneur bag is designed such that its compartments are easily accessible to the rider, without necessarily having to stop all the time while on the brevet. It is also properly-sized for the activity, and for multi day-rides it will contain food and sustenance, tools/spares, a set of clothes (as necessary), navigation/maps, and other rider essentials.
This bag is entirely and proudly made locally by ourselves in our humble workshop.
- Made of Cordura fabric in Coyote Brown, with leather base and reinforcements, secured by twill piping.
- L 24.4 cm x Width 19 cm x H 14.5 cm with Volume Capacity of 6.7 Li (excluding the 3 flap pockets).
- Comes with 4 leather straps with brass buckles. 2 straps are for securing against the handlebar or dropbar, whilst 2 are for securing the leather base to the bicycle front rack.
- Option for using a decaleur (the metal attachment to additionally secure the bag) in lieu of handlebar straps.
- Top flap has a map compartment in clear plastic to store just that - a map, a control card (if you ever get to join a real audax!) or other flat items.
- 2 well-sized front-facing compartments (to store items that need to be easily accessible such as mobile phone, energy snacks, etc.) and 1 rectangular front compartment for other items. Pockets are secured by velcro.
- 2 slanted side compartments on both sides of bag
- Inner hard plastic stiffeners to retain bag shape
It is necessary for this rack to rest on a front rack and fits best on a typical randonneur-style type.